My favourite moments in life are when I’m sitting with one other person, talking about things that matter to us. There’s a sense of connection, of communion. The other is special to me, and a spiritual light encloses our being together.
I wonder if I can create that sense of intimacy in relationship to other things. Let’s see.
1. Life: The ups and downs of human existence. The joys and sorrows of the day, the triumphs and failures. Yes, I can embrace it all, as I would hug a friend at a cozy restaurant.
2. My Books: My favourite one is The Grand Option by Beatrice Bruteau. As I sit in my man chair caressing the pages, the words and I touch each other, quietly and sublimely. Contact.
3. The Younger Me: So many years have drifted down the tunnel of time. Earlier versions of Bruce scrambled up mountains, created a soulful batik and played cello with a passion. Now they’re gone from the surface of life but somehow they still sit with me as I sip coffee at the diner. To be revered.
4. My Home: My orange-brick sanctuary. It’s where my soul has space to unfold. Favourite chairs and my delicious bed cradle me as I sink into them. I am being held, as I would by a lover.
5. My Car: Scarlet has been my companion on journeys to meditation retreats and to reunions with faraway friends. She has led me to thrilling sports matches and harmonic concerts. She knows where I want to go.
6. My Clothes: My favourite red shirt, my ancient red toque, the jeans that feel like home. And don’t forget all those t-shirts with the funky sayings. They’re part of me, expressions of me.
7. The Songs I Love: Where would I be without The Wings That Fly Us Home, Imagine and Dancing Queen? Such longtime friends and tender reminders of what’s important in life. I breathe into you and you hold me in return.
8. The Land: I am drawn to the fields and forests, the birds that fly high and the streams that roar or meander. Time often stops in your presence. We sit together in peace.
9. My Ceramic Mugs: I wrap my hands around you and enjoy the coffee you offer. I am nourished. I am comforted. I am happy.
10. My Body: Parts that I like, parts that I don’t. But behold the miracle when they all come together. Even if some things don’t work perfectly, I celebrate the uniqueness of these muscles, bones and organs, all enclosed nicely in my skin. I kiss my hand. I wrap my arms around me as far as they stretch. There’s a lot to love.
Things to be used?
I don’t think so
They’re all you’s to me